The Robinson's

The Robinson's

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Radical Obedience



Ahh... we're so plugged in!  All the TVs, cell phones, computers, tablets... gosh I could go on forever! All though these devices have a wealth of information and knowledge sometimes I wonder, when is enough enough? How can we expect to hear God through all the noise? This week in our Say Yes to God Bible Study we have been faced with the question of, "is there something God is asking you to give up?" In the crazy world we live in I wonder if there is ever a time where there isn't something God would like us to give up.  Whether it be time watching TV, filling the air with background music, eating too many sweets or drinking too much coffee or even spending less time on YOU so you have time to serve someone else.  It is easy to get into a routine of doing the same thing all the time but sometimes it becomes more like an addiction than just a routine.  Why is it so hard to give up things such as mindless entertainment in order to seek God with more focus and determination? Don't we know in our hearts that we will find more joy in the Lord than in watching the next season of Suits, Drop Dead Diva or Teen Mom? Okay... let me be honest, I'm writing to myself here!!!  I feel like God is challenging me to unplug a little! I've pondered disconnecting the cable TV or just choosing a select few shows and limiting the TV.  My husband and I are in the praying process about how God wants us to go about this and I know God will give us direction soon. Other steps I am taking to unplug include turning off that background music when I am sewing or crafting so that I can enjoy the silence and listen for God's voice.  Also, I am working on spending less time on Facebook and Pinterest.  It is nice to know what is going on and what is the latest DIY project but none of it is really crucial to growing my relationship with God.   So with this challenge I will continue to pray that we are able to hear God's voice in every aspect of our lives.   I will also be praying for others of you who are on this journey too.  If you have had an experience where God has asked you to unplug I would love to hear how you did it! I hope y'all have a God-filled week!   

5 comments:

  1. Words can not express how proud I am of you and Tyler for seeking God's will in your lives. I cried as I read your blog. I am so grateful that you are such a Godly woman. God has truly blessed me with wonderful children. I agree with the need to unplug. That is definitely what I need to do. You inspire me in more ways than one to be a better person. Love you more than you will ever know. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, it is amazing that you are contemplating unplugging! Just this past Monday I disconnected cable...and my tv is ancient--not HD...so no tv for us right now! Oh, and I'm electronics challenged so somehow when I disconnected the cable box I also disconnected the dvd player. OOOPS! I thought I was going to miss the tv, but actually, it's been a REALLY nice week! I've been able to focus on my Bible study, and have spent more time with my daughter who's 4 practicing her letters, coloring, etc. It's been great! As far as cell phones go--I have a rule that once I am home in the evenings no more phone. I also limit my time on Facebook, and haven't even dared to sign up for Pinterest (I know I would be hooked and not in a productive way!). I really felt that I needed to do this to focus on God more, and so far so good1

    It's wonderful that you're sincerely wanting to follow God's plan for your life, and to discern his voice. Who said following Christ was boring? :)

    Kyndra, OBS FB Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Kyndra! I know that taking a step back from all the electronics will make a big difference! :)

      Delete
  3. Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God......

    You will cherish the 'quiet' once you get over the initial shock of 'unplugging'!! Praying for you and yours!!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

All Married Cafe

All Married Cafe
The Fun Photobooth